Re: Need Advice Quickly, Please

I'm about to replace the clutch in my 91 318ic and will use a BMW clutch
from the dealer. The price of a complete new clutch is $390 CAN, about $270
USD. So you could start by placing a phone call to the parts dept to know
the price of the clutch and figure out if the price they are charging you
for labor makes sense. Changing a clutch when you have access to a lift and
all the required tools is not a very big job. May be they resurfaced the
flywheel , but again, it's something below $100.

Here in Quebec, Canada, we have a law that protects consumers when they buy
something, new or used, even cars. It says that when you buy a product for
a purpose, that product should be able to do what it is suppose to do for a
reasonnable amount of time. If not, you can take action against the seller
and if the seller cannot prove you abused the product or used it the wrong
way, you will win your cause. I don't know if a law similar to that exists
in your state, but it may worth the trouble to check.

Good luck.
Michel Drainville
91 318ic

     My thanks to all those who replied to my request for advice about a
failed clutch at 33K....and here's the story so far.

     When presented with the bill for $1,010.00 for the clutch, I told
the service rep with whom I was dealing that I had been chewing over the
whole business of a quality, well-made, expensive German car requiring a

SNIP...