E34 Display Problem

My odometer and the warning and information display has gone completely out.
For example I am getting some warning because I get a chime when I start the
car but I have no idea what it is.  I suspect it's the batteries we all hear
about but I took the car to a mechanic and he removed the dash and said he
found no batteries.  He had to remove the steering wheel to remove the dash
panel.  Is this correct?

Does any body have photos of what the back of the panel looks like so I can
show it to him?  Also what RS batteries do I buy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tomas S. Perez
tsperez@domain.elided
1989 535iA