E34 Cold start problem

I am having a problem with my '92 535i (135K) at cold starts. The car idles
rough for a minute, and then smooths out. It is very similar to fouled
plugs, but I have changed the plugs and it did not help. When revved, the
car runs fine. After running for a minute or two the car idles fine. This
seems to be a cold weather problem since it just started, but the car is
garage kept, and it does not get very cold. I think I have smelled gas in
the exhaust fumes when it starts. I have a very short drive to work, 5-8
min, and I do not know if this is part of the problem or not. Any
suggestions on what to look at next?