RE: Stuck Clutch

Thanks to Dan, Donald, Lewis, Bob, Rusty, John and others who responded to
my call for help.  The root of the problem is Teenagers should not be
allowed to drive and certainly not their Dad's old, but fairly cherry, 325e.
I should never have put it back together after he crashed it through a
divided hwy sign.  Anyway, when my son started having trouble shifting he
figured the harder you push on the pedal, the better it will work.  After
spending hours trying to remove the master cylinder, which turned out to be
fine, I realized the low pedal position was due a bent pedal arm.  When I
put it back together a managed to repair the pedal arms, the pedal would not
move.  There were not fluid leaks on either cylinder.  I opened the bleeder
valve to re-confirm that the master cylinder was not binding.  When I took
off the slave cylinder I was truly amazed.  The shaft was horseshoe shaped.
At first it looked like it had been engineered that way.  The hole in the
clutch housing was egg shaped, worn from the shaft being out of position.  I
pounded the shaft straight to see if I could drive the car.  The car drives
fine.  I will replace the cylinder as soon as I can call Rusty at wholesale
parts (1800-741-5252) who quote me a great price.  Thanks again to all the
listers who responded.

Scott Bly
C.H. Guernsey & Company
841 Bishop Street, Suite 480