Windshield wipers

Now that snow, rain, and sleet season have arrived in Michigan, I am
reminded how badly the wipers on my E36 work.  Does anyone else have a
problem seeing because the passenger side wiper stops it's travel right
in the middle of the driver's line of sight?  Because the wiper reverses
direction there, it seems there is always this slightly unclear line that
I have to look through. It's annoying. I replace my wiper inserts with
BMW OEM parts a couple times a year and use Rain-X, but still seem to get
alot of streaking and chatter.  I'm thinking of replacing the whole wiper
arm, or maybe I have build up or something.  Any tips would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy Bommersbach
93 318is 96k