Trouble starting '89 325iX

I'm having trouble starting my new, old '89 325iX (one week).  It starts
everytime, but it takes me 2-3 turns of the ignition to get it to fire up.
It seems to
help if I apply a little throttle.  I'm wondering if it's the fuel pump.
One thing I notice is that when the ignition is in position II, I hear no
fuel pump.  In all other cars I've owned, I could hear the pump running.  Is
the BMW pump especially quiet or should I suspect something wrong with it.