Re: <E28> loose steering question

<<Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:01:56 -0500
From: Mike Oatsvall <RMichael.Oatsvall@domain.elided>
Subject: <E28> loose steering question

My 87 535is has a lot (3-4 inches) of play in the steering. All the linkages
under the car appear to be tight. Where could this sloppiness be coming from?
I noticed the steering box has some kind of adjustment on the top. What does
this do? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Mike >>

    3-4 inches-- Yow!  Try the steering box.  Large bolt locks the adjustment
screw.

    Raise front off ground.  Turn steering wheel full L or R.  Note position
of screw, and hold it with screwdriver while loosening nut with box wrench.
Tighten screw until resistance is felt, then back off slightly and hold in
that position while tightening nut.  With front still raised and engine off,
turn steering wheel over full L-R travel to ensure there is no binding.  If
there is, back off screw in increments of about 1/8 turn.  Test drive.

    Reason for adjusting at full L or R is that most steering wear occurs at
center, with progressively less off-center.  If you adjust screw at center,
the steering will bind as you make turns.  Reason for bind-test with engine
off is so there is no steering boost, therefore easier to feel for binding.

Good luck and Happy Bimmerin'!
Gary T
88 535is