Heating Vent Problems

Hello fellow digesters,
    I have a 1986 735i, and the heater seems to take a long time to switch
the direction of the air, i.e. from the floor area to the defroter or vent
areas.  Sometimes, i have to slam on the gas for a few seconds, which seems
to make the flaps which direct the air pop open.  I was told it was some kind
of air pressure problem, and i think i found a little air pump near the
brake/steering fluid resevoir, which i thought was the problem.  I cannot
figure out whether or not it is broken or not working correctly, or if i am
totally on the wrong track.  I got another pump from the junkyard for $2.50,
but it didnt seem to help.  Maybe its the HVAC system? Also (i dont know
whther or not this is related but) , sometimes when the heater has just
warmed up on Auto, and it first starts blowing out air, a loud clicking or
fluttering sound comes from right behind the center of the dashboard, like
behind the radio.  The air will not blow out of any of the flaps until it has
stopped making this sound, it last for about 6 or 7 seconds.  Any information
on this would be very helpful.
                                        Thanks so much
1986 735i

End of bmw-digest V9 #1625