The Lexus of BMW

Guys,
while my wife is in the shop (inspection ii)... i got a loaner from the
dealer (323i 200?)... nice ride... but what is the deal with that
comboluted dash... i spent a lot of time distracted while playing with the
gadgets... is it me?? do you guys think BMW should become more and more of
a Lexus??  i love my e36 94...  btw. the vibrations i had under hard
acceleration was diagnosed by the dealer as being the couplings in the
differential. they will replace them under warranty (thank the lord
almighty) and they also found problems with my front control arms (also to
be replaced)...

my question is this: how do you turn the a/c off (for good) on the new
models?... on this 323i, while the engine is running, i turn off the a/c by
reducing the fan speed until the displays shuts off... when i re-start the
car, the a/c is back on again... my friend has a 540i 2001 and he complains
of the same problem... is there a way to program that??

thanks...

Nico
94 e36