upgrading brake rotors

Having gone through a new set of solid brake rotors and two (!) sets of
front pads in the last month or so - blaming it on 2 days at Watkins Glen,
an autocross, and one day at Road Atlanta, I am now considering a brake
cooling duct system and upgrades to my rotors.  My question to the board is
if there is any downside to cross-drilled rotors or gas-slotted rotors
compared to the standard E36 OEM solid rotors (besides price, of course),
and how do I choose between cross drilled or gas slot, assuming I do
upgrade.  Should I do the same to the rear rotor, or not bother.  This is my
daily driver, and I anticipate up to a dozen track school days next year.

Howie
96 328i

End of bmw-digest V9 #1614