E30 blowing fuse

I hope someone can shed some light on this  -- I don't relish the thought of
spending hundreds of dollars chasing down an electrical problem...

I have an 85 318i. Since last Friday I've blown the same fuse three times.
It is the fuse for the radio, heat/air fan, and instruments (tach, gas,
temp). I thought at first it might be the radio shorting as it is poorly
installed, but I've blown fuses without turning  it on, so maybe that rules
it out (maybe not).

The problem with the radio specifically is that our CD player was stolen and
the wires cut, so when I reinstalled the OE radio the length of the wires
made it a dicey proposition.

Any input on this would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Bruce