RE: [uuc] Looking for car alarm recommendations

Mark Colasante [mailto:mcola@domain.elided] wrote:

> I have an 87 325is.  Since I have created this car from
> several other cars, it has a different lock cylinder on each
> lock, most for which I don't even have the key for. Rather
> than spend money on new lock cylinders I was thinking that I
> could install an alarm instead

Mark,
You don't need new lock cylinders, just a $30 lock cylinder re-build kit. It
comes with a bunch of spare parts including all new numbered tumblers. Take
one working lock cylinder apart, write down the tumbler numbers (stamped on
each one) and re-key the remaining lock cylinders to that tumbler sequence.
Chances are you will only need one or at most two re-build kits as they come
with enough spare tumblers to re-assemble a lock cylinder from scratch.
Figure 2-3 hours for the first lock cylinder and 30 minutes for the others.
A simple, rewarding DIY job.

Sorry, not help from me on E30 alarms.
IMHO, best E30's alarm is your insurance policy: for the cost of a top-range
alarm you can upgrade your E30 policy from collision to comprehensive for
1-2 years ;-)

alex f