Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:59:25 -0400
From: khensley@domain.elided
Subject: <E28> Engine stumbling/hesitating ...

Hello, all!

I'm in a difficult situation with my 1985 535i.  I'm on the road during
the week, and the engine is running poorly at times.  This just
started as I was leaving home Sunday evening.

At any rpm, the engine will die, then in a moment, or few seconds,
it will pick up and run.  Sometimes its the whole engine,
sometimes it acts like a cylinder or 2 missing.  My initial reaction
is the ignition shutting off, when the whole engine dies, but that
doesn't explain a cylinder or 2 missing.

Another impression that it's related to the ignition is the black
smoke out the exhaust - it has fuel, but nothing to burn it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

...Kim Hensley
BMW CCA #16216