Re: klunking noise

I also had a clunking noise from the back on my 1988 528e, though it was the sh
ock mount, but turned out that the lowest coil on the spring was broken off.
Check mount first, easy to replace.  I rented (borrowed) a Spring compressor fr
om AutoZone I hear Pep boys also lends out tools with a deposit. When replacing
 make sure you mark the spring and shock and mount so that when you stick if ba
ck you wont have trouble with alignment or the bolts to the rear housing.

Syed