Clunking noise from rear of 325i

I own a '93 325i manual transmission with 97 K miles.  In the last few
months, its developed a solid "clunking" noise in the rear when I back down
my fairly steep driveway.  I've checked the battery, and its secure.  I've
taken it to an independent BMW mechanic who thought it might be the
transmission, but told my wife to ignore it.  I just left it for a week with
the local BMW dealer who thought it might be in the differential.  But their
mechanics couldn't find a problem and were too damned lazy to back it down a
ramp to reproduce the noise.
Any ideas?
Rick Kaiser
909-496-8400