Electrical nightmare

 I have a 91 525i with 176K miles.  A couple of weeks ago some strange
symptoms began to appear.  Sometimes when I get into the car and start
it and sometimes when I'm driving, everything electrical in the car goes
out with the exception of the turn signals, lights, AC, and all fan
speed and thermostat controls.  The onboard computer, and CD/Player
radio have no power going to them, as well as the wipers, windows and
door locks.  What is really weird is that after driving a while all this
stuff might come to life, but could quit at any time. When I get into
the car, this stuff may or may not work after I start it.

I have had the battery and alternator tested a couple of time each.
There seems to be no problem there.  I really don't know which direction
to go in now.  Any ideas fellow owners?

Eric K. Roeske
ericr@domain.elided