RE: E30 dashlight help requested

Roger Badeau [mailto:rbadeau@domain.elided] wrote:

> Both my '91 318is tach panel and heating control panel
> lamps need replacement. Does anyone have a diagram or
> suggestions/instructions so I don't inadvertently hack
> up the dash? TIA

Rog,
  It would be very difficult to "hack up the dash" if you have a Bentley E30
manual. If you do not, I strongly recommend getting one as sooner or later
you will _not_ be able to get by without it.
  For the tach backlight you will want to take the instrument cluster (IC)
out and swap the 'fat' bulbs the screw in the back of the IC near the orange
plastic light guides. Remove all little Phillips screws you can near/above
the IC, remove the plastic panel between the IC and the steering column (two
twist-on nuts behind the dash - drop the knee dashboard cover to get to
them), pull on the IC by its ears (two plastic mounting extension on top of
the IC), move the steering wheel to around 10 o'clock position and the IC
will slide out without removing the steering wheel.
  For the heating lights you will need to remove the heater control
(sliders') assembly. You will need a Bentley for all the little things that
come out for this one, but feel free to drop me an email if you can not wait
for the manual to arrive.

good luck,
alex f