funny noise... water pump??? addition

This morning I took a look at the car again in day light.  It was missing 4
or so of the blades from the fan.  Ok.  The fan was hung up on the shroud, so
I moved it free and fired it up.  It promptly proceeded to eat the fan and
shake.  I've got 5 blades left now.  The fan spins fairly freely with some
resistance.  Some one has suggested a broken motor mount, but that seems a
little extreme to me.  Any other ideas?

Thanks

Matt Smith
'96 328is

here's the originial message

I've got a '96 328is with 65,000 miles on it with the originial water pump, I
think that it's the plastic type.  I ran an autox today and the temp ran
fine.  I drove the car home and let it sit for 4 or 5 hours.  I went out for
about 1 or 2 miles after that and the car was making a stranging spinning,
whirling, whirring sound.... it seemed to be coming from the engine bay.  At
home I noticed that the fan was not spinning at idle or when I reved it up to
3000 or so.  Since I was a short drive, the temp did not have a chance to get
any higher than normal.  Any body have a diagnosis?  shot water pump?  dead
fan clutch?  how can I check to see if that's the problem?

If it is the water pump... where can I get a replacement, an all metal one?

Also, dull clunk coming from the right rear over bigger bumps.... shock
mount?

Thanks,
Matt Smith
'96 328is