Big difference between VTEC and Vanos

There is a big difference between VTEC and Vanos.
VTEC stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electonic Control. Whilst
BMW's Vanos is only variable valve timing control only, not lift.

Therefore, we are comparing apples to oranges here. If one has to compare
Vanos to same type of variable timing, it will be Toyota's VVT-i (the 140hp
in Celica GT).

Honda's VTEC, Toyota's VVTL-I and Nissan's VVL are more complex technical
advancement in valve timing and lift control

Below is a link to a clearer picture of valve timing.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/lancia/58/technical_school/tech_index.htm

regards,

Ee