Re: Technical question: VANOS

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Williams" <allanw@domain.elided>
To: "Michael Ting" <lupin@domain.elided>; "BMW Digest" <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: Technical question: VANOS

> BMW's Vanos is to boost low rpm torque... that's why the *peak* figures
> don't really change. The engine has a *LOT* more low down torque.

So VANOS boosts low torque. Or I can say flatter torque curve.

> Honda uses the technology to turn a high revving gutless motor, with a
VERY
> high power figure, and insane RPM levels into a drivable motor. The Vtec
> makes it much more drivable -

Basically what you're saying is, Honda uses the technology to turn a high
revving-high power figure into a drivable motor. To make it a drivable
motor, it needs more low torque, or flatter torque curve. Right?

> Hondas system doesn't have extra cams, it has extra lobes on the current
> cams,

My mistake there.

> Vanos and Vtec acheive two different objectives. A broad torque curve, and
> high peak power level.

I'm confused here. What are you saying? VANOS is for broad torque curve, and
VTEC is for High peak power level? But didn't you say VTEC makes Honda's
high revving engine more drivable??

Anyway,
>From what I understand, VANOS only boost low end torque, and makes the
torque curve flatter. But max figure remains practically unchanged. Sorry if
I didn't make this clear in the first email.

On the other hand, VTEC provides low end torque, AND some high end torque
and higher HP.

The VTEC sounds superior to me.

Michael Ting