E30 Racing Research

I'm researching building an E30 325e to race
and have some questions that I hope the good
people of the list can help with.  (I'm not
interested in starting a flame war over why I'm
choosing and ETA-motor car to race.  Let's
just say it's an experiment).

2 questions to start with:

1.  What is the curb weight of an E30 (1984-85)
318i?  I need this info for comparison purposes
to make sure the 325e gets classified correctly.

2.  How can one tell from looking at the exterior
of the engine only, that the engine is indeed an
e-motor and not an i-motor?  (Things like door-edge
manufacturing plates are of no help here).

There will be MANY more questions to follow concerning
choice of modification pieces.  If anyone is interested
in corresponding more, I'd be happy to have the disccussion
in the digest, or privately, whichever is more appropriate.

TIA!

Bruce Barnett
bcb@domain.elided