Re: bmw-digest V9 #1546

A newbie BMW owner here.  I've enjoyed lurking for a while but now it's
my turn with a couple of questions, if you please.

We just bought an '87 325 convertible.  The wife is crazy about the car,
but I'm a little leery of taking to a shop to get things fixed because
of the potential price tag.  I've always done all my own car work, which
has been extensive.  Perhaps you folks could give me a reality check on
whether I should attempt to work on the problem I'll describe.

First question 9 (easy one):  Does anyone have or know where I can get
the fuse location picture that I assume was once glued to the bottom of
the lid to the fuse "box"?  Without it, I have no clue as to what fuses
go to what devices.

Second question:  The "Check" light comes on every time the car is
started.  The instrument panel above the windshield changes with its
mood as to what light is on.  Sometimes (most of the time) it's the
"brake light" light.  Other times it's the "engine oil" light.  Yes,
that's a little scary, but there's nothing wrong with either the brake
lights or the engine oil.  Hit the clear button and it goes out, but may
come back on.  The whole thing sounds like a bad ground or the
like....The maintenance light needs to be cleared for the oil change
interval, but that's not related, right?

I don't know if the nicad batteries have ever been replaced.

Other symptoms are the tach works only once in a while.  The speedometer
works intermittently, but I think I've discovered the fix for that
thanks to this wonderful media.

Any thoughts about this electrical problem?

Thanks all,

Steve

sdsherer@domain.elided