Re: bmw-digest V9 #1540

The bolt pattern is the same for E36/46 3-series as for E28/34/39 5-series.
The hub hole on the E39 5-series is larger, which would require the use of a
hub -reducing ring in order to fit properly. However, the offset for the
5-series is numerically smaller (i.e. sticks out further) than the 3er's.
Spacers can be used to make 3er wheels fit 5ers because they push the wheel
further outward.  Since 5er wheels would already be further outward on a 3er,
spacers won't help.

In short, 5er wheels won't fit on 3ers.

- -Drew Zacharda
'90 535i 5-speed