E36 (94 325iC) Clutch

I recently purchased a '94 325iC with about 51k on it.  The clutch is not
slipping, but it is pretty high (the mechanic said it was near the end of
its useful life).  I've also been warned that letting it hit slippage can
damage the flywheel (apparently pretty expensive).

Question...
Should I replace it now or baby it until I notice slippage.  Since I'm the
third owner, I cant speak to the entire useful life of the clutch, but
given the general condition of the car, I don't think it was misused from a
hard-driving standpoint...

Also, about how many miles would one expect out of an original clutch on
this car (presume normal driving).

Thanks in advance.
Gary Zeiss
LA