E36 1997 M3 Steering Wheel Rattle Problem

Hello Folks,

I have lately been having a problem with my 1997 M3.  When I drive slowly
over big bumps, I hear a rattle noise in the steering wheel column.  This
noise doesn't happen when I travel at high speeds, nor does it happen all
the time.  Usually, after I have been driving for over 15 minutes, it is
more prevalent.  What's more, if I move the steering wheel quickly from left
to right, it almost feels as if it is a little loose, and I hear a slight
clicking/rattling sound when I do it.

I took the car in to the local BMW dealer, they test drove it twice, and
claimed they didn't hear anything unusual, and that the noise they heard
over big bumps was normal (supposedly how the slip ring works).  But I know
for a fact that my car never used to make noises like that before (I've had
it since it was new - over 3 years), and has only started to over the last
couple of months.

So my question is - has anyone had a problem like this before?  Does anybody
know what the possible cause and solution might be?  Any insight or help
would be appreciated.  Please send a copy of the response directly to my
email address at sahmed@domain.elided.  Thanks.

Sajjad
1997 M3
sahmed@domain.elided