Newbie Q on cell phone interference

My new '00 528iA sport-premium came with a dire warning (GLUED! to the
inside of the windshield, took me a half hour to get off with Goo Gone!)
about using non-BMW-approved cell phones inside the car. Claims that a
cell phone with an antenna inside the passenger compartment may cause
damage to the poor baby car's sensitive electronics.

True? Or just a ploy to get me to spring for the expensive BMW StarTAC
phone?

OBTW, while the premium 12-speaker stereo sounds good, the DSP is a
worthless crock. Too bad.

Thanks,
- - Bob