Production Figures and Platform/Engine Codes

Is anybody aware of any publications that list BMW model production figures
either worldwide or in the U.S.for any years?  Also, are there any
published tables or charts showing platform codes (e.g., E30, E36, etc.)
and engine codes (e.g., M50) BMW has used over the years and the associated
dates of production?

If nobody is aware of published data, does anyone have such information
that they would share?  Pieces of such information will also help.

I'm trying to use this data in a university archaeology class as a modern
example of a standard archaeological relative dating technique.  Students
obviously relate better to current example of standard professional
concepts.   For many students cars work well because it's something to
which they relate well.  I selected BMW's because of personal interest.

Ronn Michael