E23S 745i (w/ M88 engine)

I'm looking at buying an E23S 745i.  The E23S is the specific designation
for the S. African version of the 745i which was built with the M88 (i.e.
M635CSi or M5) engine rather than the European 745i which had a
turbocharged, intercooled 3.2 single cam engine (M102).  It was produced by
BMW S. Africa from Jan '84 to May '86 and was available with either 5 speed
OD or automatic transmission.

This version was developed, aside as a solution to drivability & other
reasons, as the turbocharger on the M102 engine left no room for the
steering box, etc. needed for a RHD version of the 745i.

Anyone with knowledge of production quantities, by year, actual experience,
etc. please drop me a line or share with others if you wish.

Gregory Bradbury
gregory891@domain.elided