O2 sensor woes (but not on da p-car)

Ok kidz,

I got no joy from the B-list, so here goes:

Drove through major big puddle in da E28 5-series. Instant midrange
hesitation. At home I find all three wires are off the O2 sensor. Fine.
Down to Crappy tire and get the 87 5.0 mustang three wire unit. Splice
the wires and...WORSE hesitation! Only works at idle or WOT. (only
marginal change in my driving style). Ok the b-list experts say
disconnect the battery, reset the computer. ENH! no change. Manual says
disconnect the damn computer to calibrate the CO, so off goes the little
green wire, and Voila! Just a touch of stutter, but driveable.

SOOOO, what da ~!*%@~*(^?

ARE ALL 3-WIRE O2 SENSORS EQUAL?

Anybody gotta E28 that crapped out this way?

Thanks,

doug

86 951, way trick.
85 E28, way annoying.