<E30> R134 conversion

Help anyone,

My 87 325es compress or is bad and I need to replace it.  When talking about
this to my technician he stated that he could not replace the compressor to
work with R12 because it was illegal to do that in 2000.  He must convert it
and this wasgoing to cost over $2,000 to do.  Is this  a correct figure?  I
have decided to purchase a remanufactured compressor from BMW recycling and
then converting it myslef.  I assume this will cost me around $500 to do.
It seems like the compressor is easy to get to and not so hard to do the
conversion.  Why do technicians charge so much to do this job?  Has anyone
had luck doing the conversion theirselves?

Thanks,
Chris