1987 325 CHECK oil light?? -help!

Hi folks,
I sure hope you can help me on this one.

The oil light on the overhead display came on this morning.  You know
when your cruising along, and the big yellow CHECK light comes on,
scaring the bejezus out of you, and you glance up only to find that
you're low on windshield washer fluid?  Well today it was the oil LED
that was illuminated.

I pulled over, checked the level (it was near the bottom mark on the
dipstick, but not below) and read the owners manual.  The manual said
that the light is just to let you know that the oil is low. OK, me
thinks ...no big deal I'll top up when I get home.  So I drove about 30
km's with the light on.  When I got home I topped up the oil, but the
light is still on!!! It won't go out!

Have I done some serious damage? Should I be worried? Do I need to some
how reset the light?? Can some one tell me where the sensor is on the
engine (hoping for a loose wire?)

Any feedback is most appreciated, as I'm driving about 350 km's tomorrow
afternoon.

Cheers,
Bob Norman
1987 325