Re: <E28> Short-shifter recommendations?

Kim,

   There are several shifters on the market, and they are almost all great
products.  The '85 535i is somewhat unique in that it has what is called a
"sheetmetal console" (this is the "carrier" where the shifter pivot ball
sits.)  It is attached at the rear by a poor rubber bushing with press-fit
nipples, and is quite prone to popping out, if not outright failure.
Depending upon which shifter you choose, I'd replace this bushing with a
bolt-through type (available from UUCMotorwerks - or you can fashion your own
quite easily).  If it hasn't failed yet, chances are it will soon.  (You will
be able to move the entire shifter mechanism up & down quite a bit with
little effort.)  If you go with a kit which consists of a shift lever ONLY,
you will want to replace the selector rod and selector coupling with OEM
parts as well.

   After that, just remember that shorter throw means increased effort.  You
simply must be somewhat patient with the old Getrag 265 (I have Redline MTL
and a UUC Street shifter), especially at high rpm shifts from 1st to 2nd.  I
find that the increased effort of the shortshifter somewhat masks the feel of
the synchro a bit, but it is very well worth it...

Hope this helps,

Rob Workman

In a message dated 6/10/00 4:13:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,