RE: [E36] rear shock mount replacement

dahermann@domain.elided wrote:

> After spending way too much money on new wheel bearings at
> the mechanic's and still needing new rear shock mounts, I
> thought I'd try to replace them myself.  The Bentley manual
> has some general information on the rear suspension, but has
> no specific instructions for replacing the shock mounts.  It
> doesn't look too difficult, but are there any complications
> of which I should be aware before I take a wrench to it?

Dan,
It's as straight forward as you think it is. My E36 Bentley manual _does_
have the detailed instructions and even some pictures for this job.
The most difficult and time consuming part will be pealing-off the inside
trunk lining. I would give myself a whole afternoon first time around. 1
hour per side (not including trunk lining) next time around (and with E30/36
rear shock mounts there is _always_ the next time around).
You will need two jacks and one jack stand: one jack to raise the car and
another to support the rear trailing arm with the shock removed. One of them
could be the BMW trunk jack, which in conjunction with a jack stand will
keep the wheel in the air. But you will need a half-decent ($30 Sears?) jack
stand to support the trailing arm at just the right height.
On my '95 M3 I had to remove the rear speakers to remove the trunk lining,
but this may or may not apply to your car.
Rear shock mounts can be ordered with replacement nuts (they are supposed to
be disposable, but old ones can be re-used if necessary) and a new paper
gasket. I would order them with all of the above since a). the old paper
gasket will be munched; b). the gasket is used to prevent squeaks/weather
seal the mount to the body c). the extra cost is a few bucks at most.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop me a line.

good luck,
alex f