Re: 12 hours at Summit Point

Last Saturday I co-drove a 12 hour road race at Summit Point in an 87 325is.
We qualified 2nd out of 41 cars, but did not finish in the top five due to a
burst radiator hose (15 minutes) and a front caliper rebuild (20 minutes).
But at the end of the race we were turning the fastest laps of all the cars
remaining.

This car had been my commuter car in 93 and 94.  I used to use it to tow my
Formula Vee to the track (there was a photo of this in the BMWCCA magazine
some years ago).  The car was extensively (expensively) prepared for ITS.  We
used an off-the-shelf exchange motor from Bavarian Motor Exchange; we shifted
this motor at 7000 rpms for 12 hours and it did not use one drop of oil.  The
engine was running perfectly and strong at the end of the race.

We used 82 gallons of fuel, 2 sets of front brake pads, and 7 tires; and it
took a ton of help from 10 crew members.  We gave ourselves about a 50%
chance of finishing our first enduro; I can't tell you how happy we were when
the car crossed the line at the end of 12 hours.  My best moment in 10 years
of racing.

BMW makes a superb car.  One of my co-drivers picks up his new M5 next week;
mine is being built June 19 and will be here in July.

Steve
Team No-Tools