output no matter which sensor is plugged in the hole.  Turning the gain
WAY up on the scope, I can see the flywheel teeth and a small reference
bump coming out of the reference sensor in its normal position, but the
signal is about 1/10th the level of the speed sensor output.

My Bentley manual shows a dowel pin which appears to insert into the
back side of the flywheel and rotates past the sensor.  I have been
unable to find a picture of the pin in my factory manual.  I went to the
dealer today and their microfiche shows the same arrangement.  Bad news
#1 - the dowel pin is no longer available.  Bad news #2 - that is not
what my flywheel looks like.  There is no place for a pin to be put in
the back side of the flywheel.  What is visible through the hole is a
machined surface which is slightly less in diameter than the ring gear.
Just forward of this surface is the ring gear and there is not enough
material in the base of the ring gear to drill for a pin.  I can see a
small hole with what looks like a darker metal in it on the
circumference of the flywheel.  The surface of this darker metal is
rough, like something broke off, and it is below the level of the
machined surface.  Just in front and just behind this hole are some
marks that look like some kind of a square cap was originally attached
to the shank of the pin which is now in the flywheel.  My guess is that
a small square protrusion stuck out far enough to make a signal on the
sensor as it rotated past.

Questions:

1.  What does the pin really look like?

2.  Assuming the top part of the pin is broken off, how do I fix it?
  a.  Drop exhaust, driveshaft, transmission, clutch, take to machine
shop and have them fabricate something?
  b.  As above, except replace flywheel (does a new wheel come with the
pin?)
  c.  Work through the sensor hole, drill out the old pin and replace
from the outside?
  d.  Work from the outside, drill and tap the old pin and run a screw
in there to replace the pin?

	Any other ideas?