RE: 88 325; excessive oil consumption; strange odor

"Mike Mike" <mkc_1975@domain.elided> wrote:

> My dilemma: a new, strong odor (possibly a burning-like odor)
> is emanating from the engine compartment. It can be smelled
> upon entry of the car as well.
>
> The 'low oil level light' in the check-control has been
> coming on recently, prompting me to add more oil. The light
> goes out after adding 1/4 to 1/3 a quart.
>
> What the hell is going on? The oil pressure light in the dash
> has never come on, so I guess that's a positive.

Mike,
I will make a wild guess (after adding 2 and 2 together) and suggest that
you have an oil leak that is burning off on the exhaust manifold. Most
likely culprit would be the valve gasket. Find the leak and fix it.
The oil pressure light _will_ come on if you neglect to replenish the oil.
The check panel light is an oil _level_ sensor. The instrument cluster light
is an oil _pressure_ "turn the engine off immediately or it will self
destruct" light.

alex f