E36M3 Q&A for '95 vs'96

dude,

saw your email & here's my $.02 for the E36 M3 early years:

1. Lux pkg available for '95 to '97 only:

 --more comfy, 3-series 8-way power sports seats (nice for commuting)
 --wood trim, chrome handles, extended nappa leather, M-Contour rims, OBC,
    center armrest
 --no weight difference between interior pkg (neglible really)
 --no suspension difference (all model years regardless of interior, all
     US E36M3's have the Euro E36M3 sedan suspension setup)

 if you like a nice interior, go for the Lux. if you like the no-nonsense
   spartan interior, go for the Sports pkg.

2. '95 vs '96 (avail. in coupe only):

 --boils down to 3.0L OBD 1 vs. 3.2L OBD 2 (same 240 hp, but torque
     is '95=225 while '96 on is 236 ft-lb./min)
 --5-spd automatics deleted in all coupes '96 on
 --both very track ready & easy to upgrade to the moon!
 --ferget the wheel wt. numbers but the order is: forged < M-Contour <
     10-spokes. i think it's: 21 lbs. < 23 lbs. < 25 lbs.
 --'95 10-spokes 2 soft (easily bent). forged is best looking, strongest,
     & most expensive (@$660 retail). '95 has all 7.5 x 17 rims, while
     '96 on had 7.5 x 17 front & 8.5 x 17 back rims.

 for equal mileage, the '96 will cost a bit more besides a bit quicker &
   have the improvements listed above (like nice M3 floor mats, blah, blah).

 more info in the ol'roundels. good luck!

- -charles '95M3 Lux!