Re: E28 idle emissions

>   last test          HC ppm   CO   CO2  O2
>             idle     79      0.04  15   0.3
>             2500rpm  1.0     0.02  15   0.3
>

>I've changed out the usual: air filter, plugs,
>wires, O2 sensor, and distributer cap/rotor, yet while
>idling, it'll do a subtle puff occasionally
>as if it misfired

OK, the high HC's indicate a rich mixture at idle. (unburned fuel)  How's
your idle speed?  Leaking fuel injector perhaps - maybe even the cold start
valve. This sounds like a fuel problem, since you already replaced ignition
components.  Check your fuel pressure - too high would be a faulty pressure
regulator, too low the pump is taking a dive or filter is plugged.  Of
course these conditions could be caused by a too lean condition also.
Driveability is so much fun!  I'd check the timing again to make sure it's
not to advanced.  Good luck. How  appropriate you ask an emissions question
with your last name.