Jumper Cables and BMWs

	Battery died on the '92 525 today and, as I park on a sloped
driveway, I was able to jump start it and go get a new battery.  BTW, it
was the original battery...got 8 years service out of it.

	If I had not been able to jump the clutch, I was prepared to use my
jumber cables which leads to my question re using cables from one BMW to
start another BMW.

	As the batteries in both cars are under the rear seats, can you
accomplish the whole process of attaching the cables w/o uncovering either
battery?  I.e., attach the  positives to the + terminals in each engine
compartment and the grounds to two good grounds on each car frame?

	Also, the Owner Handbook cautions that after successfully using
jumper cables, you should turn on the headlights, rear defogger, and put
the fan on high before removing the cables.  I presume this means the
headlights, rear defogger and fan on the car with the dead battery.  Right?

	Many thanks,
	Bob G.