RE: <E36><M3) More Incremental Bang for the Buck

John,

Thanks for the well-considered reply.

You are the second person who has warned me about Turner, so I'm taking that
to heart.  They are not the only ones that sell lightened flywheels.

Regarding lightened flywheels, I'd appreciate it if anyone reading this post
who has one would give me their comments.  This modification makes intuitive
sense to me, but I'm still worried about idle characteristics.  I don't need
the car to be silent at idle, but I don't want it to sound like a
rattle-trap either.

One of the reasons the lightened flywheel sounds like such a good idea is
that the car, with the stock flywheel, is noticeably sluggish from 1 to
about 3.5-4krpm - takes forever to wind up. Based on what I've read/heard so
far, the lightened flywheel addresses this problem specifically.  If I'm off
base here, someone tell me, please.  I'm not expecting the problem to
disappear, but I am expecting noticeable improvement with this mod.

Moving on to the LSD, I'm not expecting it to be some sort of "poor man's
supercharger" but the physics make sense to me (what little I know of
physics).  The higher gear ratio will help the car launch more quickly and
accelerate more quickly in the low rpm ranges.  After that, I'll be in the
power band of the motor and won't need as much mechanical advantage.  Again,
if I'm missing something, someone please speak up.  In fact, speak up even
if I'm NOT missing something.  The silence from the ///Mavens out there is
starting to make me nervous.

Regarding the real vs. imagined effectiveness of aftermarket parts, I
suppose it all depends.  What I've done so far has certainly been
effective - and dramatically so.  When I installed the ///Motorsport
X-braces (upper and lower) on my car two years ago, the increase in
front-end stiffness was noticeable and fairly dramatic.  When I installed
the euro hfm, etc. just recently, the result was even more noticeable and
dramatic.  I'm not expecting the same increment of performance out of
subsequent upgrades.  However, I do expect some sort of noticeable
increment.  That's one of the reasons I'm sharing all of this stuff with the
Digest (you didn't think I was just being nice, did you?).  If someone has
information and/or experience that contradicts my conclusions, I would hope
they would come forward and post their comments.

BTW, John, maybe it'll make you feel better knowing that my wife HATES my
car (my 3-year old daughter loves it) and if she knew about even half of the
$ and time I have spent on it I would probably be single.

Frank Nelson
'95 M3, see above for mods