<e28> Quirky AC question...

Hi Digesters-
The AC in my '85 535i is doing something really
weird. The fan will come on just fine WITHOUT
the AC on. Turn on the AC, and the fan clams up.
Here's where it gets weirder. After the car warms up
a few minutes,THEN the fan will work with the AC
on. (This is not the classic "low freon frozen AC" scenario-
this occurs from a cold start!) Sometimes I have to play with
the switches to get things moving. Any ideas? Anyone?
TIA-Bil
'85 535i- soon to be chipped-Dinan or Conforti? Give me
the sales pitch on each, ya'll...