533i Shifting Problems

I have a question for our group.  I was and am having shifting
problems,especially when the car is cold (has not been driven).  First and
second gears are almost impossible to engage.  I have done the following:

1. Placed redline MTL lubricant in the box.. (helped during the
winter months)
2. Changed and bled the hydraulic fluids... (Cannot tell if it helped)

I thought the problem was a "winter phenomena" however it has been in the
90's , 60's at night and the problem persists.  I have noticed that if the
car is hot (driven for a while) it will go into the gears, while stopped,
with ease.  When cold if the car is rolling slightly it will go into
first...  Moreover, when hot (sometimes) if I try to place it in first gear
with the clutch to the floor I meet resistance.
As I let the pedal come back just a mm or so while applying a little
pressure at the shifter, it will pop right into first gear.  I am thinking
about changing the slave cylinder and if that does not work changing out the
master.  Any thoughts on the problem I am having and also, what if any is
the down side of changing out just one cylinder.  I have heard that it is
best to change them out in tandem as opposed to changing out only one...
Also, someone told me that it may be the tranny as the cylinders do not get
"hot" and the shifting problem, if caused by the cylinders, would be present
throughout the temperature band.  The thought being that the fluid in the
tranny does get warm with driving and thus it shifts better when warm.
Lastly how difficult is it to change out a slave cylinder?  Do I have to
"power" bleed it etc

1984 533I 147,000 miles.
Thanks

        Robert Smith III