e36 surge

hello all
I have a 92 e36 325i that is surging. The most obvious sign is the mpg gauge
surging in time with the car. I can also feel it. It does it at all engine
speeds and throttle positions. Though it does get worse the harder the
engine is being pushed. I have just done a inspection II. Three different
mechanics have looked at it and been unable to even guess where to start.
They don't want to hunt for anything without a fault code. It has only
faulted once. That was a "lambda control one" . Whatever that means. I
emailed the shark and he said that it was the engine running either lean or
rich probably due to a vacuum leak or a fuel problem. So far I have not been
able to find any vacuum leaks. Without wholesale replacement of vacuum lines
does anybody have any ideas about where to start looking for the problem? I
saw a story once that mentioned a guy pulling his injectors and testing
them all and having them professionally matched flowed. Is this something to
look at? My old GTi had o rings on the  injectors which went bad on a
schedule. Does the 2.5 have similar o rings? Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ryan
92 325i bilstein sports, Bav springs, RD bars. Lots o fun.(but the surging
is annoying)