RE: CD data cables

Mike and others,

First off, let me say that I am looking for a 1995 or older BMW casette deck
(made by Pioneer) cd changer (also made by Pioneer), and necessary cable.

Interesting that you should bring this up. First, a little background. A
number of years ago, I bought the home Pioneer 18 disc (3, 6 disc carts)
changer and when I bought my car stereo, I bought Pioneer, which included the
car 6 disc changer so that I could grab carts out of the home deck and play
them in the car, and vice versa.

Well, two weeks ago, I bought a 73 2002, and want to share the carts with the
2002 as well. I knew that Pioneer had changed the car hookups and you
couldn't use the old style carts with the new deck, or the other way around.
In fact, up till a week ago, I thought Pioneer didn't make the old style
changer anymore.

You can in fact still buy the changer new. However, it doesn't hook up to the
old Pioneer decks, but to the old BMW decks, presumably made by Pioneer. So,
my brother, who also has lots of Pioneer stuff, just sent me an e-mail. with
a bunch of info about BMW, Pioneer and Alpine decks, changers and cables.

It is a very long e-mail, so if you want me to e-mail it to you and not use
up digest space, let me know. E-mail me at slarsonih@domain.elided
However, here is part of the info.

Radio Model             year/application   changer              adapter
- - ------------          ----------------   ---------------      ----------
CM5908  (Alpine)        89-93 E30          6 disk
 infrared slot)         89-91 other          88 88 1 600 220
88 881 600 175                               82 11 1 467 002
                                             Alpine#TR1600
                                           12 disk
                                             88 88 1 600 178
                                             Alpine#TR1008

KE83zbm (Pioneer)       89-93 E30         CDX-M30 ("M" series)  None needed
(+) (-) (Mode) at lower right corner

CM5901(Alpine,          91-94 All         CDX-M30               AAMP BMWPIO
 Alpine2, Alpine3)

KE91zbm (Pioneer        91-94 All         CDX-M30               AAMP BMWPIO
 PIO, PIO2,*not PIONEER4*)

KE????  PIONEER4        91-94 All         Factory BMW only           n/a

CM5903L (Alpine5?)      95+ All           Factory BMW only           n/a

KE93zbm (Pioneer)       95+ All           Factory BMW only           n/a

Any Pioneer "M" series changer will work, the CDX-M30 is just the most
current.

<< Subject: Looking for CD Data Cable

I finally found out through my mechanic that my 93 318i does
not have its cd data cable and that it was apparently taken out
by the previous owner. I have a pioneer head unit as well as a
factory 6-disc pioneer changer.

If anyone has no use for  this cable and would be selling it I would
be interested. Also if  anyone knows any after market sources for
such a cable please send the information to me.  Also if anyone
knows if it is possible to fabricate a cable with a connector that
would work I would also appreciate that information. Thanks in
advance.

Mike Theuri
93 318i >>