1985 E 30 323i starting woes?

 I just purchased a 1985 323i and am having some problems getting it
to start like a BMW should.  (takes about 8-10 seconds to fire up and when
it does it stumbles for a few seconds before rising up to a good idle)  The
only time it starts right is when it is very cold, say 25-30 degrees.  I
live in Grants Pass, OR. and have only had a few mornings that cold since I
bought the car.  Even when it would start good, by the time the day was over
and I would get ready to leave the shop it would be back to it's old tricks.
One more thing when it does fire up it runs very rich for a few seconds.
The motor runs great as soon as it runs it's just this annoying start up
problem I would like to fix.  Also while I have your ear can you give me
some suggestions as to why my temp gauge does not work?  When I turn the key
on it just barely moves the needle and the entire time I'm driving the car
it does not register!  Does it sound like a cold start
valve problem, or should I be looking at maybe a temp sending problem since
it seems to start fine in arctic conditions?    Thanx for any and all help
you can offer.     ben