M3 convert=E36 or 46

    A few months ago I got a 328ic.  I find it somewhat rickety and less
powerful than the M3 convertible I passed on months earlier, and every
time I test drive a M3 convert nowadays in New England, I am reminded of
how much more exciting and fitting that car is, even though they are all
used automatics.
    I am all but paid up on the 328, and going mad frankly, as to
whether to save my pennies (and lottery winnings) for the upcoming M3
convertible on the E-46 chassis.  In a nutshell, I feel the E-36 M
convertible is a nineties German mustang, while the E-46 will likely be
a Corvette for four.  I don't need that much power, but since the sale
of my car or trade in relative to purchase price is about 9,00-13,000,
versus 25,000 easy, next spring, I guess this is a personal choice, or
act of stupidity.
    In short, I wonder if anyone disagrees that the 328 gets out of its
own way, but not anyone elses; and here in Boston, there are a lot of
teens and rednecks in trucks who love to bumper hug and lane merge
block!  I don't think an M3 will be a tank, but that power does
reassure..Comments?