325(e) needs A/C compressor, or should I convert?

Hi all,
It seems like I've got a problem that has spanned the last couple of years.
I live in Sacramento where it gets hot in the summer, and I don't use A/C
much, but like the option on occasion.  Over the last couple of years I've
tried probably 4 used compressors that all leaked, and I'm interested in
trying a "known good" one, or thoughts on converting over to a Sanden
compressor setup.  R-12 is no problem, my brother in law has an AC
recharging business, and I prefer it. (Car is 1986 325e).  Will a later
compressor (from e30 325i) work with a bracket change?

Any ideas, or compressors with a return policy would be appreciated...

TIA!

- -Rod Birch