Re: Help! Locked out of E34 M5

Jim Walsh wrote:
>Today I had a bunch of race tires and such in the car, so I locked the door,
>being careful not to set the alarm system.  I figured I could just manually
>open the door with the key if the battery died.
>
>Looks like not!  The key must be totally electrical.  There's a detent
>further past the regular unlock position, but I can't get the doors to
>unlock no matter what I try.  And of course I can't get the hood open to
>jump the battery (or of course the rear doors to get at the battery itself).
>
>I thought I recalled some emergency procedure, thought I saved it, but
>apparently not.  If anyone has any better ideas than calling AAA or a
>locksmith (and of course charging to the idiot that hit me), please let me
>know!

It's actually pretty easy, but not having done it in years and not having
an E34 or a manual here, I'm doing it from memory.

The trick is to use the key in the PASSENGER side door.  Turn the key in
the direction of unlocking (should be toward the front of the car, or
clockwise) until it won't go any further.  While still applying light
turning pressure, lift up on the outside door handle and turn the key to
boldly go where it has never gone before and manually override the lock.
Hope it works for you.

In normal operation, the unlock action of the key operates the power locks
through a micro-switch (Lucas part).  When the battery is dead, the manual
override has to do the trick.  This is the same on E32 with the exception
that the early cars (probably '88 only) operate from the driver's door.  I
think all E34s do it from the passenger side, and I'm sure that's the case
in your vintage.  Once your battery power is restored, you may need to
reset the lock by pushing down on the door lock knob on the passenger door,
and possibly fiddling with the door handle some more to resynchronize it.

Now, how many people know how to do the same procedure in the Z8 which has
no visible key openings and relies on the key-head remote?  If you know the
answer, I'll bet you were at Gateway Tech last weekend.

- -Phil Marx
 BMW CCA #6021