318ti or 325i??

Hello,
    I'm looking for an E36 and today I went to a dealership and looked at two
different cars. The first was a 93 325i. It had everything I want, and just
about the right price. But when talking to the salesman (a friend of mine) he
mentioned that they had a '97 318ti in the "warehouse" and brought me back to
see it. We got to talking, and they would work a deal out that they would do
a bunch of stuff to the ti, before I bought the car. First they would swap
the differential on the car for a higher ratio one, then they would lower it,
change the wheels from the hubcabs that presently are on the car, put a M3
front spoiler on it, change the exhaust and put in a chip, and all for a
great price. Now, with all these mods, would the car be that much better? I
know it wouldn't be as fast as a 325i or an M3, but would handle like a
champ, and be a pretty fun car. Does anyone out there have an opinion about
this car, would it be worth the extra money to get a tricked out "ti" or
would it be better to just stick with the 325i? Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks,
Justin