E36 Radio Code

OK - I feel like a dweeb for asking this, but I have no owner's manual.

My battery was very low, and starting the car drained enough juice that the
radio reset itself and required the code. I thought I remembered it, but
after 3 tries, figured I'd better cool it in case it would lock itself for
an amount of time.

Well, when I got the code and entered it, the radio wouldn't unlock. So I
took both radio fuses out for almost 24hrs. Plugged 'em back in and the
radio won't take the code.

What's the deal? (At least it's a good opportunity to really listen to the
car and make sure all is well :-)

- -Kabookie